Here are types of thyroid supplements and natural alternatives
Do you often experience fatigue, anxiety, heart palpitations, arrhythmia, body pains, have a low tolerance for heat, have acne or impotence?
If yes, you probably are suffering from hyperthyroidism.
Hyperthyroidism happens when the thyroid gland produces and secretes excessive thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3), hormones that are beneficial to the body’s over-all health.
CAUSES OF HYPERTHYROIDISM
Hyperthyroidism is caused by the following:
- Graves’ disease. This results when the thyroid gland produces too much hormones in order to fight off autoimmune attacks.
- Thyroiditis. An inflammation of the thyroid can lead it to increase its production of thyroid hormones.
- Too much iodine. Consuming too much iodine from food and medications can lead to hyperthyroidism.
- Thyroid nodules. These lumps or cysts secrete too much thyroid hormone. This lump must be checked by a doctor.
KINDS OF THYROID SUPPLEMENTS
Meanwhile, thyroid supplements come in two types – bovine and synthetic.
Bovine thyroid supplements come from the desiccated thyroid glands of cows. They are turned into powder and put into capsules.
Meanwhile, synthetic thyroid supplements have recorded some side effects because they are not compatible with the body’s chemistry.
Unlike in bovine thyroid supplements wherein the cow’s thyroid glands secrete the same hormones as humans.
Meanwhile there are natural remedies and herbal ingredients in thyroid supplements that can be taken in order to treat hyperthyroidism.
1. Vitamin D helps protect the immune system. Hyperthyroidism can result from a thyroid gland whose autoimmune defences are weakened.
2. Take a thyroid supplement with selenium but not more than 400 micrograms per day if you want to avoid hyperthyroidism. Studies showed that excess consumption of this mineral will lower T3 levels, thus triggering Hashimoto’s Disease, which causes hyperthyroidism.
3. Magnesium in a thyroid supplement can treat several deficiencies caused by hyperthyroidism. Magnesium is also abundant in tofu, coconut, shrimp, spinach, avocado, garlic, raisins, banana, crab and kelp.
4. Omega-3 fatty acids in a thyroid supplement can balance the thyroid levels, leading to a decrease in your chance to have hyperthyroidism.
These fatty acids also regulate inflammation to prevent Graves’ Disease and Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, which are autoimmune thyroid disorders.
5. Echinacea is an herb that counters hyperthyroidism or thyroiditis.
6. Bugle helps control heart palpitations and anxiety that are associated with hyperthyroidism. Rich in lithospermic acid, it prevents antibodies from attacking the thyroid gland. These antibodies cause Graves’ disease. Some thyroid supplements carry this in tablet or drops form but consume only at most 2 grams a day.
7. Lemon balm helps reduce the production of thyroid hormones and normalizes an overactive thyroid. This calming herb is the source of thyroid supplement ingredients like terpenes, polyphenol tannins, citral, citronella, and geraniol. If in capsules, take only 300 to 500 mg daily. Do not use when you have hypothyroidism.
Before embarking on a cure for hyperthyroidism, it’s wise to consult with your doctor so that he can prescribe the right thyroid supplement for you. Give your body the right treatment with the correct thyroid supplement.